chaplin

Sunday, May 22, 2011

The pathetically grateful interviewer

It's not surprising that a fashion writer from the Daily Telegraph is so star-stuck when meeting Kate Moss that she files a piece that reads like an over-excited text between teenage girls. One of its more coherent lines, as she describes a brief roundtable chat with a couple of overseas journalists, is "I am standing in front of Kate!"

There's always a tendency with these kind of encounters to describe the drama of the meeting rather than to relate anything that happens to be said. The PR is always "harassed", the subject is always "running late" and room is usually found for the line "and with that she was gone". We'd better get ready for a lot more of this kind of thing as celebrities find they can get by without the press and brands like Mango take their advertising budget and give it instead to somebody like Kate Moss.

However, if the BBC's Andrew Marr is to be given only eighteen minutes to interview the President of the United States, I'm not sure I wish to be made aware of it - not to the extent of reading a piece on the BBC website about just how nervous the interviewer was beforehand and how relieved he was that it turned out OK in the end. What is this? Jackie?


2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, I can just imagine the photo-story models that they'd use for Marr and Obama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. About 20 years ago I was working in an in-law's kitchen, when the radio carried the lead-in to David Frost's interview of General Norman Schwarzkopf. Such a storm of sycophancy I had never heard; by the time Frost was five minutes in, I was expecting him to refer to the invasion of Kuwait as 'O felix culpa!' I am grateful to say that I finished my kitchen tasks, whatever they were, in time to escape the interview itself.

    ReplyDelete